GPZList Digest, Vol 54, Issue 23

Philip Hamm philbike20 at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 18:18:24 PDT 2011

As I understand it, about 10 or 15 years ago, car oils started adding friction modifier compounds to their oils.  These were specifically added to increase gas mileage and efficiency in car engines. Some believe that these friction modifiers are inappropriate for proper lubrication of motorcycle transmissions.  Motorcycle manufacturers are among those who espouse this view.

That said, plenty of people run regular modern car oil in their bikes with no problems.

Phil Hamm