GPZList Digest, Vol 68, Issue 7

M & J Mason masonjs at
Tue Jul 17 11:58:54 PDT 2012

I rented one of the Beemer 650's in Denver CO.  It was a nice little bike to
ride but like you I missed the power of the GPZ.  The Beemer has 50 hp at
sea level and I'm sure it was down to less than 40 in Denver ( 1 mile due
up) and under 30 at the summit of places like Wolf Creek Pass  ( at nearly 3
miles up).
Another gripe was all the f#$&%n safety devices.  Side stand down,
transmission in neutral , clutch in and key on before you hit the starter
button.  Side stand up before you shift into 1st.
The saddle bag latches were a mytery I never did figure out.  I would screw
with the key for 5 minutes and all of a sudden the bag flew open.  By the
time I managed to get to my camera, what ever I wanted to photograph was
either gone or dead.
If you happen to meet my sister Lesley in Romania say hi for me.

----- Original Message -----
From: "schnowz" <schnowz at>
To: "Jim Mason" <MASONJS at>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: GPZList Digest, Vol 68, Issue 7

I just finished a 2 week ride on GS650 When I first got on it it felt like a
rubber frame but once you get in tractor mode it's a very capable bike. At
first I missed the geeper but this bike is ideal for Romanian roads. Too bad
the beeemers are so unreliable because its a great bike when running right.
There was some talk of heat its been 40+C some days here.

> The GPZ is running great, just put fresh rubber on the front (rear was
> done last year), and it is as fun as ever to be on it, but I've been
> developing some health issues that have made it more and more
> uncomfortable to ride the Geeper for more than 30 minutes at a time. Maybe
> it is just age...I'm sure the recent truck tire I've been carrying around
> hasn't helped...but lately I've been thinking more and more about turning
> to the darkside.
> If I'm going to remain on two wheels, I'm going to have to get something
> with a more upright posture.

You are subscribed at the email address MASONJS at