motorcycle trailers

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Sun Mar 11 17:08:26 PDT 2012

I've seen a few of those over the years - on other vehicles of course -
and from the way the bike torsions the hitch receiver, I would be scared
witless to put any of my bikes on anything like that.  I've seen them
rocking enough for 3-4 inches of play at the ends of the bike,
unnerving!   A single contact point like the hitch tongue would transmit
a lot of torque to the receiver, and over time, I can see it weakening
the receiver outright.  The only way I could see using this unit is if
there are more stabilization points  from the mount to the receiver (or
vehicle frame) to greatly cut down on the torsion loads.

A normal trailer on such a hitch/receiver combo has a far more limited
torsion effect and it makes sense - I can't even wrap my mind around
putting my _bicycles_ on such a hitch mount, frankly.    (Although part
of that is the thought that some a**w*pe would manage to rear-end me and
make confetti out of my precious-to-me bicycles, too.)

My sister has one of those 5-6' wide cargo racks that plugs into her
receiver, and that thing alone twists and shimmies...  yikes!

But that's just me and my own opinion.