Bike-to-bike communication

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Sun Mar 25 01:01:11 PDT 2012

I use this one: http://www.interphoneuk.com/F4.php (related to the one
Alex linked to).

When I travel alone I connect it to my cell phone on which I have the
navigation system. It works great and I can even have telephone
conversations while riding. It is also possible to listen to radio, the
music player or whatever.

If I have someone on the back seat I use it for rider/passenger
communication. Sound quality is excellent and even though there is a
volume adjustment option it appears to adjust the volume according to
the background (wind) noise. The microphone doesn't easily pick up wind
noise and communication is seamless up to about 130 km/h. Above that the
wind noise from my microphone is beginning to be significant in the
passenger's ears. Communication is possible up to around 160 km/h above
which the wind noise in my helmet is so significant that it drowns out
the voice of the passenger.

I have tried it bike to bike on a couple of occasions and it is truly
amazing. At country road speeds you can have a conversation with your
fellow rider as clear as if you were sitting in your favourite chair at
home, even at a distance of several hundred meters. But - if you loose
contact because line of sight is broken (e.g. a hilltop) connection is
lost and can not be re-established automatically. You have to go through
the pairing process again manually. Furthermore the F4 can only connect
to one other unit at the time. That is if you are communicating with a
passenger or another rider you can not also connect to your GPS or cell
phone. You could get the impression from the web site that it can, but
it can't. I bought this about one and a half years ago and I'm sure
systems have improved since then. I don't know what's on the marked
today but automatic re-establishing of connection and the possibility to
connect to more that one other unit should be an ultimate requirement.
These things are not cheap and I actually regret a little bit that I
de-installed the cable bound Baehr system...

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark