Remebering Ron Jordan's generosity and thoughtfulness

Philip Hamm philbike20 at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 13:29:25 PDT 2012

All,

Not sure if you all remember this, but Ron Jordan saved my bike.

See the following (slightly edited) excerpts from 2009 GPZlist history:

> From: gpzlist-request at micapeak.com
> Subject: GPZList Digest, Vol 32, Issue 22
> To: gpzlist at micapeak.com
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:00:04 -0700
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:25:09 -0400
> From: Philip Hamm <philbike20 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Bike in bad shape - may be time to put the ol' girl down.
> To: <gpzlist at micapeak.com>
>

> Well, the shop just called - compression check #3 cylinder failed badly. If the engine is shot it may be time to put the ol' girl down. If that happens, I am going to pay the shop for their work and put the bike out to pasture. I want to sell it for parts, can most shops accomodate that? They must have reals with the salvage people.
>
> For all DC Area / Northern VA / Maryland GPZ owners: This bike has a BRAND NEW chain and sprockets and BRAND NEW Metzeler ME-88 Marathon tires and a BRAND NEW ignition switch as well as lots of other extras including: OEM Saddlebags/mounts, perfect unscratched front faring lowers, Corbin seat, custom bar risers from this list, Throttlemeister. If the engine is shot I'm not going to be able to move the bike, if you want parts we'll have to go to the shop or arrange something.
>

> Phil Hamm
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:06:51 -0400
> From: Philip Hamm <philbike20 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Anybody got an engine?
> To: <gpzlist at micapeak.com>
>

> Hey if it turns out that my engine is toast because of the cylinder 3 problem does anyone have a spare motor they could sell me?
>
> Phil Hamm
>

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:27:53 -0400
> From: mrgilmore at aol.com
> Subject: Re: Anybody got an engine?
> To: philbike20 at hotmail.com, gpzlist at micapeak.com
>
> Hey Phil and guys,
>
> I have an engine, but the tranny is shot. Top end works fine. I was going to just junk it, since its been in my way around here. Pay for the shipping and its yours. Then again, the guy talking about $600.00 for an entire bike is a great thing if its legit. Same goes for just about any bike that's complete, for a reasonable price.
>
> Ron Jordan
>

> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:44:02 -0400
> From: Philip Hamm <philbike20 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: Anybody got an engine?
> To: <mrgilmore at aol.com>, <gpzlist at micapeak.com>,
> <philbike20 at hotmail.com>
>

> Definitely very interested. I am in northern virginia, and so is my shop . What do we need to do to get moving?
>
> Phil Hamm

Later, Don in GJ sent:

>Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:10:51 -0600
>Subject: Re: Anybody got an engine?
>From: leanintree at gmail.com
>To: philbike20 at hotmail.com
>CC: mrgilmore at aol.com
>
>Hi Guys,
>This is my line of work. If you want, I can hook you up with a couple of folks that would treat you right.
>
>Key here is this: Gonna have to empty it of fluids, and strap it to a pallet for shipping.
>
>Phil, if you have a business address, so much the better, otherwise cheap method will be drop at shipping facility, pickup same at the destination. Save you $100 usually.
>
>Let me know a couple details, and I'll ask around. Unless you want me taking commission, I'll just give you over to a trusted individuals.
>
>Don in GJ

As it turned out, the carb for #3 cylinder had been spewing gas like nuts when it failed.  As such, cylinder 3 had been compromised, but the piston and bottom end was still good.  Don helped with the shipping logistics, and Ron packed up and shipped off his old engine.  If I had not been able to procure used parts for the price of shipping, I wouldn't be driving my GPz today; it would have been parted out and remains sent to a junkyard.  The shop replaced the cylinder banks from the base gasket up with Ron's donor machine, and the bike runs great to this day.

Ron will certainly be missed.  A great internet friend even though I never met him.

-Phil Hamm