Hurricane Sandy

Drew Blanchard drewblanchard at
Mon Oct 29 17:18:44 PDT 2012

Things in central VT are a bit windy and rainy, but as of right now (8:15
EST) it's not a very big deal here at our house.  Southern Vermont's
experienced much more wind and rain, though, and lots of schools there are
already closed for tomorrow.  For that matter, our local schools are
closed, too, but that seems a bit over reactive.

Friends on Long Island are getting pounded.  My wife has family there, too,
and they're all in areas with mandatory evacuations.  Needless to say,
she's glued to her phone, a computer and the weather channel.  So far so
good, but high tide (with a full moon) hits at 11 p.m..  Her mom's
neighborhood expects a 14' storm surge.  Friends have been posting pictures
which show a radically reshaped shore line and missing barrier islands/sand

I can't get over the sheer size of this storm.  Satellite images show this
thing to be 2 - 3 times the size of other storms which have hit the east

Drew in VT
(Bristol - zip code 05443, to be exact)