Last ride of the 2013 season

masonjs at nrtco.net masonjs at nrtco.net
Wed Nov 6 15:43:51 PST 2013

I decided to move my old 1970 Triumph down to the garage at the
cottage to make more room in this garage.
 I went up and checked the Triumph. It was low on gas, the gas was
stale and it didn't have a battery. I took the battery out of the atv
(its actually the one for the Triumph), and installed the one out of
the Suzuki vstrom into the atv (I put the Suzuki away Yesterday).
You're wondering why I just didn't put the Suzuki battery in the
Triumph. Its too tall. I put a block of Styrofoam under the Triumph
battery when its in the ATV. I had to go to Kenny's store to get gas
As I had dumped all the spare gas into the ATV yesterday.
When I got back I dumped a gallon of fresh gas into the tank with out
getting rid of the old gas from May 2012. After a dozen kicks still
nothing. I didn't want to drain the tank so I got a syringe , loaded
it with fresh gas, removed the right cylinder spark plug injected the
gas into the cylinder replaced the spark plug and kicked the bike
over. 2nd kick and it was running, not well but running. It quit while
I was getting my riding gear on.. I had to give it another injection
to get it running again.
It farted and stumbled on its way up the driveway but seemed to clear
up once I got it going down Rapid road in 2nd gear. I was less than a
kilometer into the ride when the left side plug fouled and I lost 1/2
of my engine. I kept going on one cylinder figuring the left one would
clear.
I had about 1/2 a kilometer left when the engine died. I looked down
and saw the right hand plug wire had come off. I was about to put it
back on when I remembered a similar incident from my youth.
 I had a plug wire come off one cylinder of my Matchless. But the
Matchless 650 was still running on one cylinder and turning about 4000
rpm. I grabbed the plug wire and immediately got 25,000 volts or what
ever Lucas was putting out about 33 times per second.  Similar
experience to urinating on an electric fence.
I didn't want that sensation again so I pulled in the clutch so the
engine wasn't turning over. I grabbed the plug wire and pushed it on
the plug. I got my right hand off the plug and onto the throttle grip
before I dumped the clutch. Not only did the right cylinder fire but
also the left got a couple of blasts from the raw gas in the  mufflers
and I was back on both cylinders.
I walked the 3 miles back to the cottage/house.  It was 10C I should
have left my riding jacket in the garage as I was soaked with sweat by
the time I got back.
I went back later to retrieve my helmet, gloves, the battery from the
Triumph.  Then, put some rodent poison around the bikes and covered
them up.  I drained the Triumph fuel tank and put the gas in my
snowblower.  Those Briggs & Straten engines will eat anything.
 I'll have to get the snow blower over here soon.

Jim