Brake rotor friction

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:30:22 PDT 2007

Randy, I had my bike in the shop yesterday and someone much smarter
than me figured out the problem.

My front wheel was basically whacked out of alignment and was being
pushed over to the side by either a slightly bent fork or maybe bent
triple clamps. Also the wheel bearings were slightly pushed out making
the problem worse.

What was happening was that my caliper itself, not the pads, was
rubbing on the rotor on one side! It could have developed into a
dangerous situation, as the caliper studs that poke out and were
scraping were coming perilously close to the grooves in the rotor.

Getting the wheel closer to straight has evened out the caliper
clearances. The pads still scrape a little but it's a world of
difference now.

Thanks,
Erik