Footpeg bolt failed while riding

Wade Bartlett wade.bartlett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:48:49 PDT 2007

Donlon G. McGovern wrote:
>...I suspect the bolt was improperly tempered.

I disagree. The fracture face shows absolutely no metallurgical problems
(granted something might turn up with an SEM or even a decent optical
microscope, but given the photo we have to work with now, there's
nothing visible).  Multiple minor fractures around the periphery suggest
an initial overtorque, the beach marks" across the face indicate that
the overtorque was followed by fatigue, which progressed in a modest
number of steps (I can count at least 18 fracture progressions in that
photo). The final fracture was at the angled part near the top of the
fracture photo.

The real pisser is that you couldn't have found this developing problem
with any sort of normal inspection. A cautionary tale for all of us.

Glad you're OK, Dave. Peace.  -W

Wade Bartlett, PE, CMAT, blah, blha, blah
New Hampshire

SPAM POSTSCIPT:
'00 SV racebike & more for sale: http://mfes.com/wade/forsale.html