What does this part do?

Greg McCullough greg at developingmedia.com
Thu Aug 30 11:42:44 PDT 2007

Totally unimportant question for the engine guys.  Just curious.  I was
rebuilding my motor this weekend for the first time with my buddy Jason, and
we were debating the purpose of this part:

11B - right bottom corner.  It's labeled as "PLATE, OIL".  11391-20F20

It slots into a dished out area in the other crankcase half.  It doesn't
look strong enough to reinforce anything, and if it's just blocking oil
flow. why isn't the other crankcase half designed to be solid there instead?