Footpeg bolt failed while riding

Wade Bartlett wade.bartlett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 18:01:46 PDT 2007

I guess I should clarify that the bottom was in tension initially, with
the top (in the photo) in compression (this would have been on the
bottom as installed in the bike).  As the fracture progressed, the
tension region moved down with the leading edge of the fracture, and at
the very end end, plastic deformation pulled the thread away at the top
(of photo, which is the bottom as installed) - it probably has more of
those little periperal radial cracks at the root of the next thread
which weakened it somewhat, too.
HTH. -W