minimum race bike setup page is up

Architeuthis dux rg-sv650 at v0.net
Mon Dec 24 13:54:54 PST 2007

Jo Rhett wrote:
> Randy Grein wrote:
>> What about some of the people who don't know which end of a drill to
>> hold? (grin) Honestly, some of the newer bikers are totally untrained
>> and can't turn a wrench without help. It's good they have someone they
>> can turn to...
>
> *sheepishly raises hand* uh, Hi.

I have to agree with KC... all it takes to become "experienced" is to do
it.  I slipped through tech with an unwired caliper bolt one time, so
you can't count on them to find everything.  Unless you have mechanics
with you at the track all the time, doing it yourself will make it so
that you have a better feel what to look for when you do safety checks.

Stuff that scared me that I'd never done before 2007...
- fit a full fairing to a bike
- safety wired
- rebuilt forks
- removed both wheels
- swapped gas tank guts
- replaced clutch parts
- had a bike stripped down to nothing but an engine in a frame

Just double the time estimates, read up on the procedure, consider
calling someone for suggestions if you get into a tricky situation, and
go for it!

-rg, who has at least one bolt reinforced with several broken-off drill
bits.