Sharkskinz on first gen

Ulrich Wiedmann uw_micapeak at wiedmann.org
Wed Jul 11 09:24:11 PDT 2007

Another option would be to unscrew the top caps of your forks (definitely
should work for the stock forks, not sure if this works as well for
upside-down forks).

Just be sure to support the weight of the front while you're doing this (one
person lifting up on a handlebar is enough to support the weight), or
suspension parts will pop out all over the place.

Once both sides are unscrewed, you can just gently let the bike down to its
fully compressed position. There are some suspension parts that you'll have
to catch during this process - the preload spacers and some washers.

A piece of plywood pressed against the contact patches then held up at an
angle might let you simulate lean angle, but you'd probably want the rear
compressed too to accurately measure clearance.