Brake Upgrades

vik anderson eeeeek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:36:15 PDT 2007

Will the stock brakes get you stopped? Sure. Then riddle me this: Why
do none of the people in the top ten run stock brakes? I mean, they
don't need anymore stopping power, right?

It's about more than just sheer stopping power. It's about
consistency, longevity, initial bite, etc. Oh yeah, and overall
stopping power.

Stock brakes on an SV worked fine for a while. GSXR brakes worked
better. Adding Vesrah pads gave me more initial bite and then the
added bonus: The pads lasted. And lasted. And lasted. I did an entire
race seasons on one set of RJLs. And track days, too.

I was pretty good on the brakes on my SV. I wasn't fishing my rear in
the air, that's overbraking. I had more braking power than I needed
and that meant I could be a lot more relaxed on the brakes. I remember
one race in particular at Buttonwillow where I was destoying people
braking into turn one. Lap after lap, I outbraked and passed people.
Again, I wasn't fishing my rear in the air or anything, but I was
passing some fast people.

Did I use all the braking power I had? No. Did I like having it? Yes.
You can put in a strong showing with a stock engine, but those
flatslides make things nice...as do those cams...and those pistons.
It's not really that different.

Would you rather wring the piss out of something or have something in
reserve to achieve the same (or better) effect?

--
Vik