brake piston removal

Donlon McGovern mcgovern at hevanet.com
Sun Nov 4 23:23:06 PST 2007

It sounds like you have accumulated water in your brake fluid, hence the
cloudy, creamy texture. Good thing you are disassembling them. If I were
doing it I would bleed all the old fluid out of the system with clean fluid
and get all the creamy stuff out. Then, once you have removed the caliper
assemblies you should be able to just squeeze the brake lever and push the
pucks out enough to pull them out by hand. You will probably have to replace
the rubber seals and use a fine abrasive emery paper to gently scrub the
cylinders if they are rusty. But, if they are just cruddy, a good brake
cleaning fluid should flush the crud out. With the seals back in place you
should be able to push the pucks back in but you might need a stiff section
of thin board to get them flat with the surface of the caliper assembly.
Mount them back, squeeze the brake lever to reseat the pads and then bleed
again until you get all the air bubbles out. There may be other suggestions
from Zoran or Jim Stewart or any other listers that have done this far more
often than me. I'd say you biggest problem is not bleeding your brakes often
enough to purge water out of the system. Remember, brake fluid is
hydroscopic, it absorbs dihydrogen oxide (fancy name for water).
dm