hollow rear axle for SV650 (was: GSXR swinger on '03 SV)

Steve Brunton sbrunton at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 26 08:55:13 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 9:55 AM, Patrick Mullen <pmullen.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is hanging the rear tire in the air a feature, a downside, or nothing
> worth thinking about?

Meh, probably nothing worth thinking about, just pointing it out.

> How do you get the bike into the STS stand?  Do you have to lift
> the bike up to attach the stand or do you attach the stand then
> back it up to get it into the air?

Basically you put the rod thing-a-ma-jig through the read axle and
roll it into the trailer. Then there are two flat iron bars with slots
in them mounted to the trailer floor. The whole upper brace/mount fits
in and locks into those flat bars you then push the bike in reverse
into the brace/mount and there are hoops on the upright that catch the
bar through the axle and it rides up into the stand. Then there are
plates that go into stand to lock the bar into place for transport.

If I was about to go and do it from scratch again I would have to look
at the pit-bull ones a little more. Charlie usually seriously
over-engineers stuff. The only thing with the pit-bulls is that it
looks like you needs tools to remove the clamps from the base plate so
you won't be tripping over them in the back of the trailer, with the
STS ones you don't need tools.

-steve