Brake Upgrades

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Wed Oct 31 22:46:17 PDT 2007

Get a tennis ball. Squeeze it a million times. (grin)

Seriously, I'm old school and the brakes are so much better than what
we had 20 years ago it's not funny. I get 2 finger brakies with
little effort on the stock setup, but everyone wants more. There are
a few things you can do:

Move the MC inboard. Seriously, this is a cheap, free upgrade. As you
move your finger contact towards the end of the lever you can
increase leverage by 30-50% over where most people grab.
Make sure the brakes are bled, retract OK, etc. The wheel should spin
freely 2-4 revolutions from a single good, strong hand flick. If
you've ever dumped brake fluid on the rotors or calipers use brake
cleaner to clean the rotors and replace the pads.
If you're still having trouble with lever travel you may need to seat
the calipers properly. With the bike on front and rear stands loosen
the caliper bolts, spin the tire and tap the brake lever a few times.
Hold it while tightening the calipers back up. This seems to allow
the brakes to float to the optimum alignment with the rotors, and has
always solved excessive lever travel for me.
Replace the pads with ones that have a higher CF (coefficient of
friction). I would suggest the EBC kit pads, but those are only for
racing. I think Galfer or Ferodo have something for you, but you will
have to compare the CF, don't just buy pads assuming.
If that's still not enough you can replace the whole front end. A
common enough swap, this will give you bigger rotors and calipers.
GSXR 600 is a common upgrade, but you will need to get replacement
bearings.
Randy Grein, WMRRA #41