Fuel Capacity

Andy Preston andy at prestonmedina.com
Fri Sep 7 18:08:17 PDT 2007

Jim Stewart wrote:
> When I got my '01 I did some checks first thing. With the bike upright
> on my lift I drained the tank by applying vacuum to the petcock.
>
> At the flashing point I measured 1.1 gallon remaining, at the solid
> point 0.5 gallon.
>
> Your 2000 is the same, I believe...
>
> -js

Th CA tank in a first gen is 0.2 Gal smaller than the 49 state tank. I
assume they are the same for the 2nd gen. I don't know if that effects
the tank indicators though. Also the tank level indicator has a timer
associated with it, at least from startup, as even with a tank that was
flashing when I park at night, it takes a few minutes from startup
before it starts flashing again. I assume there is also a timer so that
it doesn't start to flash when going around a corner and the sensor is
momentarily exposed.

Andy