1st Gen Steering Head issue

Brian LaSalle brian_99sv at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 05:29:49 PDT 2007

I crashed the hell out of my SV lowsiding in turn 10 at Summit Point back in July - the forks & lower triple were bent/twisted.  I bought a whole new front end off a lister here (Thanks Randy!) and finally got everything back together this weekend.  The problem I am having is that when test riding the bike (at 20 mph) when I brake - there is a noticable CLICK from the steering head and it feels like the steering head moves.  (It's not the first gen THUNK - I know all about that one)  This really seems like things are not tightened down properly or seated properly.  I tore the whole thing apart, and put it back together again, cinched everything as tight as I can - exact same issue.  Also - I do not have the Suzuki $85 steering head nut tool and I am using visegrips to tighten that down - am I just not getting enought torque in there to seat it all properly?

  help!

  Thanks
  Brian