1st Gen Steering Head issue

Brian LaSalle brian_99sv at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 07:39:56 PDT 2007

So I should loosen that nut with the slots in it sitting on top of the upper bearings?  IIRC the shop manual calls for 30 ft/lbs of torque on that which seems to me like more than finger tight????  Do I need to replace the bearings?   I'm not trying to be a pain, I'm just a mechanical idiot and I appreciate the help.

Ernest Montague <afm199 at earthlink.net> wrote:  You can almost finger tighten the nut that holds the bearings, you do
NOT want to get it very tight. If too tight you are probably notching
on brinneled (grooved bearings)

ERnie