two questions

Architeuthis dux rg-sv650 at v0.net
Tue Sep 18 13:52:03 PDT 2007

I have a 2003, which had the fuel tank recall done on it.  There's a
sticker on my tank that says 2005.  I then crashed and destroyed said
fuel tank, and bought a replacement from Monsieur Clifford.  His tank
has a sticker that says 2004.

Ignoring the slightly worrisome thought that this replacement tank is
pre-recall and may cause me to burst into flames, there's a small
difference in the tank: my damaged tank has an extra hose attachment
point that the replacement does not seem to have.  Its over on the same
side as the fuel pump connections.  I thus have a dangling hose that
comes from the general direction of the PAIR system, via a purposeful
looking valve or pressure thingie near the tank hinge.

Question 1: is this a difference based on year, or does it imply its a
non-CARB tank, and if so, is it safe to just block the hose under the
theory that its purpose is to return fuel vapors back to the tank?  My
long-term goal is to nuke the PAIR system anyway, but that will require
some block-off plates and a resistor as I understand it.

Question 2 (totally unrelated) Is it ok to remove the entire left
handlebar's control pod?  A continuity test implies that if I were to
short out the middle two connectors in the plug where the wires end up,
I'd fool the clutch switch.

Question 3 (bonus surprise question!) While I'm nuking wires, since I
destroyed my instrument cluster and bought a Veypor as a replacement,
what other wiring can I safely remove?  This looks a bit more involved,
since those wires quickly merge with a thicker harness.  (I'm a little
concerned now about how I can read error codes from the ECU, is there a
diagnostic port that can be used instead of the dash?)

Thanks!

-rg