jetting

Jim Stewart js at strappe.com
Sat Sep 29 18:35:51 PDT 2007

Ernest Montague wrote:
> OK guys, there is a stock formula that used to work pretty well for gen
> one carbs with a race pipe and aftermarket filter or opened up stock
> filter....
>
> Anyone remember?
>
> 148 mains?  I do remember shim the stock needles 40 thou.
>
> Ernie

Hi, Ernie -

After half a million dyno runs, Jack Roe developed a formula for desnorkeled
airboxes and race pipe: 152.5 mains, 17.5 pilots, two shims (.040") under the
needle, pilot screw at 2.5 (I think). He later recanted and recommended the
stock 15 pilots and 3 turns. He also recommended drilling out the bleed hole in
the slide, but that didn't seem to make any difference on my bike.

It turns out that the desnorkeled airbox is a bad choice for a street bike - big
flat spot at 5K or so. Maybe it works for a racebike - others can surely tell you.

I have my own preferred settings for a street bike, but you're interested in
your racebike I assume...

-js

--
http://www.strappe.com