Newbie Question: Rear brake switch

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Fri Apr 18 15:39:07 PDT 2008

I use the front brake the same way.  It lights up the brake light as
soon as the lever starts the move, and I have 1/2 inch before the
brake does anything.

Anyway, on the inside of the stock brake lever is a tall curved
hook.  It raises up directly from the peg mount.  It looks much like
a finger curled, or the top of an lower-case "f" character.  The
spring attaches to this.  If you have higher rearsets than stock,
you'll need to find a shorter spring.

On Apr 18, 2008, at 3:29 PM, tucker g perry wrote:
> Since the brake light fires before the rear brake actually grabs, I
> sometimes use it to get the attention of cars behind me without
> actually
> slowing down. Also, I'm inclined to have more warning lights than
> fewer, so
> I'd like to get it hooked back up.
>

> ~tgp
>

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Jo Rhett
> <jorhett at fastlizardracing.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Curiosity, why do you care?  Do you use the rear brake without
>> using the
>> front?
>>
>> I just put rearsets on my street bike and it doesn't connect
>> properly any
>> more, and I just didn't bother ;-)
>>

>> On Apr 18, 2008, at 3:18 PM, tucker g perry wrote:
>>
>>> I just picked up a 2002 SV650/S that has been fantastic. When I
>>> purchased
>>> it, the spring that actuates the brake light for the rear brake was
>>> broken.
>>> I have a replacement spring, but I can't figure out where to
>>> connect it
>>> at
>>> the bottom. The upper connection is clear, but the lower connection
>>> doesn't
>>> seem to sit well when hooked with the pedal return spring, and I
>>> can't
>>> find
>>> another mounting point. I've gone over the shop manual and can't
>>> find a
>>> reference to it. Can someone explain where to connect it, or send
>>> along
>>> a

#553 WERA / AFM