Clutch pushrod question(s)

Wayne Beaver wayne at acedsl.com
Sun Apr 20 12:23:11 PDT 2008

Hi All,

Removed my engine over Winter so that I could do cam swap with engine on my
workbench. Unfortunately, I now can't seem to get
clutch/clutch-pushrod/transmission to work correctly. All parts worked fine
before bike was disassembled. Motor was not disassembled beyond removal of cam
covers and replacement of cams.

Here's some more info:

1.
It seems like the clutch pushrod is "sticking out" about 1/4" too far out of
left side of motor.

2.
If I mount the bearing mechanism which actuates the clutch pushrod flush to its
mount point on the left side of the engine (the way it is supposed to be...), I
cannot pull the clutch lever in at all.

3.
If I use spacers to mount the bearing mechanism which actuates the clutch
pushrod ~1/4" outboard of its intended mounting point, I can pull the clutch
lever, but it doesn't really do much with regard engaging/disengaging the clutch
(It seems to push on the pushrod, and I can change gears, but when I release
clutch the bike does not move forward...)

4.
With  bearing mechanism which actuates the clutch pushrod ~1/4" outboard of its
intended mounting point and bike on stand, releasing clutch with motor in gear
results in rear wheel turning. Pulling in clutch does nothing (wheel keeps turning).

I'm hoping this kind of thing has happened to someone else here and that maybe
there's some really easy, really obvious fix that I'm not seeing...

Thanks,

Wayne Beaver
99 SV Trackbike