Painting a gas tank

Architeuthis dux rg-sv650 at v0.net
Fri Apr 25 07:43:11 PDT 2008

John Jennings wrote:

> A better plan would be to take something like 220 grit sandpaper and sand
> through the clear coat down until you can get the stickers off. You'll
> likely go through the clear/paint in some areas, so you'll wanna first paint
> with a primer/sealer, then put your color on. It'll look much better for a
> "race-quality" paint job.

I tried that, and got really bored.  It takes *forever*.

I got impatient and went for a more abrasive power-driven solution,
which also took a long time, and left scratches in the tank that were
visible through my rattlecan job later.

That tank got destroyed in my big crash last year, I haven't bothered
painting its replacement.  :-)

-rg