Painting a gas tank

John Jennings johnje at msn.com
Sun Apr 27 19:04:13 PDT 2008

> I got impatient and went for a more abrasive power-driven solution,
> which also took a long time, and left scratches in the tank that were
> visible through my rattlecan job later.

Yup. Gotta take time if you want a decent job.

As a hobbyist painter, I can prep/paint a tank in a couple hours at "race
quality" - but I have the right tools, materials, a real paint booth, and
some skills. For someone that wants to do it themselves, substitute
time/patience for a substantial tool investment. A few sheets of 220 and a
couple cans of the right Krylon primer/paint would provide a decent result
if you're careful.

On the other hand, you could pay a professional:

http://www.brand-x-customs.com/Motorcycles/SV650Race

...and cry when you ruin your beautiful work of art high-siding out of T2

John