Head bolt problem

Ernest Montague afm199 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 1 08:35:44 PDT 2008

I overtightened a head bolt last time I put my SV motor together, and
left it, knowing I would have to deal with it later. Now I have to deal
with it. Anyone ever used an insert in the case for head bolts? I did
damage the threads it was hard to get the bolt out.

Interesting thing also happened. One valve broke the retainer ( collets
in place, the retainer just broke around the inner valve spring, so
when I pulled the cam the bucket popped up a half inch)  There is a
perfect circle in the retainer, it is mashed into the bucket, and I
could pull out the spring by hand. No head or valve damage.

Ernie