Astros [WAS: Jo -- Oddysey?]

Wade Bartlett wade.bartlett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:56:21 PDT 2008

iangillies at alamedanet.net wrote:
> The Chevy Astro is the way to go for smaller track vans.
<snip thoughtful discussion>

Ian's response was much more comprehensive than mine, but he's right on
all counts. I had 220k on my first when I got rid of it (it developed an
annoying electrical problem that neither I nor the dealer could isolate
at the plug-box on the firewall, causing it to occasionally simply DIE),
and 180k on my last one when I stepped up to a full size.  The
seat-mount tie down points were really nice, and the other thing about
the passenger vans is that with all the internal carpeting and such,
they ride quieter.  Living in NH, I had the AWD version which was very
useful on a few occasions, and essentially transparent the rest of the
time. YMMV, though: Consumer Reports always panned Astros for poor
reliability. -W
Wade Bartlett, PE
Mechanical Forensics Eng'g Svcs, LLC
179 Cross Road