520 conversion

Armen Amirian rugerii at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 13:35:35 PST 2008

I did the 520 conversion last year. The aluminum
sprocket was 1 1/4 lbs less, but since I bought the
ultra-butch chain, it weighed the same as the original
530. Less rotational/unsprung wieght always gets me
hot. Not too worried about how long it'll last, I'm
sure it'l be plenty of miles. I also went DOWN one
tooth in the interests of slightly lower revs and
hopefully a tiny increas in gas mileage.
True confessions-while I was at it I gun drilled the
axle and the sprocket bolts, used titanium sprocket
nuts, swapped to a Galfer Wave rotor, and made all the
wheel spacers out of aluminum. Swapped the original
sneaker for a Michelin Pilot Power. Overall savings of
4.25 lbs.
Yes, I know it is sickness, but I ain't looking for a
cure : )