ignition fuse not failed but problematic?

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Sat Jul 5 13:30:23 PDT 2008

Okay, this is weird.  At Thunderhill a few weeks ago I had the sv650
just gutter to a stop coming out of turn 12.  I managed to get it to
gutter into the pits and then walked to my van.  Hitting the starter
kicked the engine over, it stank of fuel but it wouldn't run.  Since
this was my expected last lap of the last session of the day, I just
took it home.

Today I propped up the tank and went through everything.  I couldn't
find anything wrong -- carbs synced, lines tight, vacuum lines in
place, petcock operating, spark plugs still nearly brand new.  WTF?

Finally I looked at the fuses.  Not a single fuse looked bad.  Out of
desperation I swapped out the ignition fuse... and voila! bike kicks
over and starts up nearly instantly like nothing was wrong.

I tested, and without the fuse the bike wouldn't even try to kick over
so the fuse itself hadn't fully failed.

Was this coincidence?   Or is it possible that a fuse would fail
somewhat but not entirely?  Is there anything else to examine here to
find a clue?

#553 WERA / AFM