First Generation Gas Cap Needed

John spam at onlineconcepts.com
Tue Jul 15 12:26:14 PDT 2008

> Someone put crazy glue in the lock of my gas cap (the bastards!), and
> I need to replace it--anyone out there have one to sell?  For a 2000
> naked.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gregg Wagner

If you replace the gas cap lock, you would probably replace the ignition and
seat lock as well, assuming you want to continue using one key. I think
replacing the ignition lock is a pain.

I would try getting rid of the crazy glue with a chemical solvent or heat. I
googled remove crazy glue, and the recommendations seem to be:

1) Nail polish remover (a not-so-concentrated version of acetone).

2) If that doesn't work, use pure acetone from a hardware store.

See http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Remove-Crazy-Glue&id=94302

I STRONGLY recommend removing the gas cap from the bike first. If you get even a
drop of acetone on your tank, you will wreck the paint.

Another option is heat. This thread mentions using a small pencil torch. You
could probably put the entire gas cap upside-down in a toaster oven. You would
have to remove all the rubber gasket. I wouldn't put it in a real oven just in
case some gasoline remaining on the cap goes boom. Blowing up a toaster is one
thing. Blowing up a gas oven would be more complicated.  ;)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?messageID=11553027&#11553027

-John
'99 SV650
'98 VFR800