brake problem

Steve Aronson stevewins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:17:56 PDT 2008

I'm having a ridiculous problem bleeding my brakes.  I rebuilt the calipers
and now I can't get a decent lever. The travel is almost to the handlebar.
I've bled the system at the master and the calipers about 15 times now.  No
bubbles at the calipers.  Hard to tell at the master since I don't have a
bleeder banjo and use the squeeze/crack open over a towel, close, release
lever.  I'm using the usual method I always do with the plastic cup and
tubing at the calipers.  I've done this dozens of times in the past with no
problem like this even after changing the lines.   So where is the air
hiding?   I'm guessing it's at the top of the lines or in the banjo, but it
won't come out.  I've tried tapping with a rubber mallet while pumping the
lever, holding in the lever, not touching the lever.  I've tried to suck it
out with a mityvac but the bleeders leak around the threads once loosened.
I've let it sit overnight with the lever bungeed closed.   Any suggestions?