not enough thread for GPR V1 steering stabilizer

John spam at onlineconcepts.com
Tue Jul 29 08:09:00 PDT 2008

I recently bought a GPR V1 steering stabilizer for my Gen 1 1999 SV650X. Now the
steering stem does show enough thread above the triple clamp to get a good grip
with the large nut. Installing an All Balls needle bearing kit made the problem
worse. I made this diagram to demonstrate the problem.

http://onlineconcepts.com/images/misc/sv650_steering_stem.png

I called GPR, and they said the stabilizer requires an S-model triple clamp. The
web site says their product is compatible with a '99 SV, even though Suzuki did
not sell an S model in the U.S. that year. Sigh.

Does anyone have a spare first gen, S model triple? I would be willing to trade
for the non-S model triple. Also, I have some Suburban Machinery bars that we
could throw in for a little extra.

Another option is machining down the round pedestal on the bottom of the triple.
This is maybe a 10mm high circle of metal, and I would have to go to a machine
shop. I think I would have to leave a little of the pedestal to allow the triple
to rotate freely above the assembly.

These two photos show the part in question.

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_clipons/no_triple_clamp.JPG

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/howto/svs_clipons/remove_tripleclamp.JPG

Does anyone recommend machining this part? I've got a spare non-S triple in case
I mess up something.

Please e-mail me if you have an S-model clip-on as well.

TIA,
-John
'99 SV650
'98 VFR800