Best Track Day Tire for Gen1?

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:40:37 PDT 2008

My 2 cents:

I would use the Dunlop Qualifiers (or equivalent) until you have the
pace to justify the race tires (then pick your brand). Last time I
checked (which admittedly has been more than a year), I could get them
shipped from SWMT in 160/60 and 120/70 for $220 for the set. They are
much cheaper, will last longer and don't need to be as hot as race
tires to work properly. They'll also work well on the street.

I use the Diablo Super Corsas, and they are awesome, but they cost
more than $100 more per set even from a race dealer (somewhere around
$350), don't last as long (they are softer), won't work well if you
don't get them hot enough (too floppy), and *seem* to not last as long
if you don't use tire warmers to reduce heat cycling (I can't prove
that but my experience tells me it's true).

Erik