Best Track Day Tire for Gen1?

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Tue Jun 17 11:10:16 PDT 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> I use the Diablo Super Corsas, and they are awesome, but they cost
> more than $100 more per set even from a race dealer (somewhere around
> $350), don't last as long (they are softer), won't work well if you
> don't get them hot enough (too floppy), and *seem* to not last as long
> if you don't use tire warmers to reduce heat cycling (I can't prove
> that but my experience tells me it's true).

With the price raise they are now like $400 a set, and I can
absolutely state that they last much longer with tire warmers.  Last
year I stopped using tire warmers at track days so that it was less
work to do, and I got only 5 days (1 race and 3 track days) out of a
set of tires.  I immediately went back to using warmers on the next
set and went back to 2-3 races and 4-5 track days per set.

I've heard stories of people using DOT race tires on the street, and I
think they are insane.  I suspect I'd get 3 round trips to work before
the tire would chunk.

#553 WERA / AFM