Follow-Up Tire Question

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Tue Jun 17 11:17:18 PDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 12:33 PM, Thomas J. Fitzpatrick III wrote:
> \Also, I need specific information as to the exact tire, and where
> appropriate, the compound.  So, for example, I have heard a lot about
> Pirellis, but not about which specific Pirelli is best.  At the shop
> I work
> at, the owner has used the Corsa IIIs on his ZX6 track bike, but I'm
> not
> sure that is the best for a stock SV.
> specific contracts/arrangements.  It appeared that the most expensive
> Pirellis would cost me over $500 for a set, even at my shop.  That
> set me
> back on my heals.  So, what is the most reliable source of fresh
> Pirellis at
> a reasonable cost?

If you aren't using race tires, then compound isn't relevant.   If you
are new and slow, don't worry about race tires.   They are too
expensive for what you need right now.  Go get a pair of Diablo
Corsas, or try out the new Diablo Rosso.  This will cost you about
$200 total for both tires.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=33_188_830

In comparison, the Supercorsa race tires will cost you about $200 PER
TIRE.  And trust me that you won't go any faster with those tires on
your first track day.

#553 WERA / AFM