Best Track Day Tire for Gen1?

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Wed Jun 18 00:23:22 PDT 2008

What confuses me is that when the tire wears all the way down, rubber
starts coming off and the cords come through.  That's usually in the
10th-11th track day on the tire, 1 heat cycle per day.    I know this
because I've ridden 2 sets of Pirellis down this far -- one because
Wheel2Wheel screwed me and I ended up racing on an old set of shagged
tires, and later on I did it just to see how linear the tear-down
was.  The trackday provider had a fit when I rolled into the pits with
the cords coming out of the tire.  Linear and predictable all the way
down ;-)

Anyway, 10-11 heat cycles is all I've ever gotten out of the tires.
Sometimes only 8 or 9 depending on how I abused them (20-lap solo
endurance races, etc)

Given that I commute 36 miles each way, I'm thinking one week of
commuting and the cords start coming out...?  There's cheap and then
there's dead when the car behind you also going 80mph rolls over you :-(

#553 WERA / AFM