Another Track Day tire question?

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:24:33 PDT 2008

You are right, the DCIII is cheaper, so that's a factor.

Yep, the SC slicks and DOTs are the same, keeping in mind that Dragons
are different from Diablos of course. But I like riding in the rain
and plus I like to race in superstock, so I have only used the slicks
a couple times.

I'll tell you, I'm a wimp about the tires. As soon as the rear starts
stepping out on me a little, I cry for a new set. To be fair to
myself, I would bet that I am getting more lean angle out of my SV
than most, the rear is jacked up to the sky, and the pegs are up 1.5
inches from stock "S" position, and they are the folding kind and
ground way down from scraping. Jo warned me about spinning up the
rear. And sure enough, I high-sided the hell out of it on the gas not
that long ago (it was immediately after a rain though so the track was
fresh, plus I was a good bit off the race line). But after all that
qualification I would say, four to five track days at the most. But
it's always the rear that goes first for me, even the medium, but that
could be my riding style. I am bad about not getting my weight up over
the front and still have a long way to go in terms of hard braking and
pushing the front.

I used a soft Diablo SC on the rear most recently. It only has about
1.5 track days and three short sprint races on it, and it's already
looking fairly worn (fairly worn for me means a lot of feathering -- I
never really get much cupping like some SV guys seem to get). Awesome
tire though, I had total confidence in it, even in a wet turn 6 at
Road Atlanta (ok so I was going about 30 mph . . . ). So I would
definitely go for the medium rear (and soft front) unless you really
want the soft rear for a specific event or something. And use the
warmers.

Odd thing about those Diablos -- they supposedly have a wider contact
patch when cranked over than the Dragons, yet they are noticeably
narrower . . .