Another Track Day tire question?

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Wed Jun 18 21:52:37 PDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Erik Weber wrote:
> I'll tell you, I'm a wimp about the tires. As soon as the rear starts
> stepping out on me a little, I cry for a new set. To be fair to
> myself, I would bet that I am getting more lean angle out of my SV
> than most, the rear is jacked up to the sky, and the pegs are up 1.5
> inches from stock "S" position, and they are the folding kind and
> ground way down from scraping. Jo warned me about spinning up the
> rear. And sure enough, I high-sided the hell out of it on the gas not
> that long ago (it was immediately after a rain though so the track was
> fresh, plus I was a good bit off the race line). But after all that
> qualification I would say, four to five track days at the most. But
> it's always the rear that goes first for me, even the medium, but that
> could be my riding style. I am bad about not getting my weight up over
> the front and still have a long way to go in terms of hard braking and
> pushing the front.

Erik, you might want to try moving that around.  I haven't had too
much success raising the rear because it does exactly what you observe
-- loses rear traction.  So I keep the rear pretty low with a hard
compression setting and it works really well (for me anyway).

I'm probably the opposite of you, riding style.  I'm all over the
front and hard hard on the brakes into the corner.  I keep the rear
lower, but drop the front even lower and just lay on top of the front
tire for corner entry.  My front and rear tires wear at about the same
rate.

#553 WERA / AFM