Another Track Day tire question?

Jo Rhett jorhett at fastlizardracing.com
Thu Jun 19 12:06:29 PDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Erik Weber wrote:
> If I get my weight more forward and ride the front harder, would
> adding a click or two of rebound to the Penske be a good idea to try
> to increase rear traction a touch on corner exit? What would be the
> downside of that?

I wouldn't play with rebound unless something seems wrong.  In my
experience I find out quickly if rebound is wrong because I can't make
fast left/right transitions (or the bike flips me up too fast).  In
short, these problems make themselves known.  Don't change anything
unless you are trying to solve a problem ;-)

That said, if you're stuck and still have a few sessions left in the
day, try making one change and see how you like it.  This paid off for
me in spades once at Infineon, and I dropped 2.8 seconds in the last
session of the day (before the rain started)

Or come out here and do a suspension tuning class with Dave Moss.
He'll detune the crap out of the bike and send you out there just
holding on for dear life.  Then he'll adjust each parameter back to
good and then way past good, one at a time.  By the end of the day
you'll know beyond the shadow of a doubt what too soft feels like, too
hard feels like, etc for each component.

#553 WERA / AFM