Changing gearing -- front vs rear

Erik Weber yoober at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:46:28 PDT 2008

I recently had someone work on my bike and he changed the gearing from
15/44 to 14/44 for a particular track. I have two questions about this
(haven't been able to talk to him since then).

1) Why would you change the front sprocket rather than the rear? Isn't
it a heck of a lot more work?

2) I had to put the 15 back on the front, but am about to revisit the
14/44 track. What would be the equivalent rear sprocket? 15/46, 15/47?
Or did he change the front because there is no exact equivalent?

Thanks,
Erik