Changing gearing -- front vs rear

Kabara, Richard M. richard.kabara at pw.utc.com
Tue Jun 24 07:26:09 PDT 2008

I looked up some stuff last night...
The book I was referring to "The Racing Motorcycle, A technical guide for
constructors" John Bradley. He claims "Industrial designers try to avoid
anything less than 17 teeth"

Two data points on OEM stock c/s sprockets that I have in my garage...
2003 R6 - 16 tooth
2006 GSX-R750 - 17 tooth

These are 'cutting edge' sportbikes where weight and compact design are
critical, still they use 'big' c/s sprockets. Of course they set the
internal ratios to work with those sprockets, would not work on SV...or rear
sprocket would have to be unreasonably large.

Moral of the story is: for long term sprocket wear, bigger is better. So if
you want to shorten your gearing, run 15/48, not 14/45. As Jim already
proved with his 15 tooth c/s sprocket going for four years.