xylene as a octane booster?

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Mon May 5 00:21:53 PDT 2008

Dunno about Xylene - it's one of several common components of race
gas. Getting the desired effect is a lot of work and testing. For
every expert who does the research there are hundreds of amateurs that
just dump a cup of magic mojo in the tank and hope for the best. With
the real thing available and semi-affordable there's little reason to
guess.

Oh, and octane rating is exactly a measure (by test) of resistance to
knock; it makes no more power than lower grades of gas in any given
engine. Usually it burns a bit slower and can reduce power in theory.
It would be interesting to test to see how much; I'll bet it's less
than 1 hp for an SV, barely measurable and more a waste of money than
loss of power. Oh, and to get maximum effect out of the oxygenated
fuels you usually need to rejet.

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41