Ideas, suggestions?

srobertson at ssimicro.com srobertson at ssimicro.com
Sat May 24 20:03:28 PDT 2008

	After the usual 17hr drive to my "home" track, I was excited about
the first race of

	the season especially because of the new "big" motor I had. Took it
to the dyno

	last night for break-in and the required new map. The thing was
smoking terribly

	and it was soon apparent that it wasn't just a little extra assembly
lube as during the

	30-45 minutes of run time it burnt at least 1/2 liter of oil. So
what are the possible

	causes of this? It does it mostly while on throttle so that would
indicate rings over

	valve guide seals, yes? I checked the crankcase breather lines and
they are dry, is

	there anything else easy I can look at or is my only choice to start
tearing the thing

	down? Fortunately I did bring down my old motor and got to spend
most of my regular

	sleeping time doing a motor swap :-( I'm guessing either the rings
weren't installed

	correctly, the cylinder bores aren't true, or the bores are too big
for the pistons. I don't

	have the tools to do a leak down test but I did check the
compression and it was 250psi

	in both cylinders, but I guess that doesn't really tell a guy much.
Any advice would be

	appreciated!
	Steve