low power and brake issue

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Tue May 27 06:00:18 PDT 2008

My money is on jetting, probably too lean on the needle. Try adding
another spacer, better yet toss it for a BMC race filter & kit. It
just works.

Brakes - did you bed the pads in? Does the lever feel solid when you
finally get some bite? If the answer to #1 is no, ride it around a
while and do a lot of (easy) stops. The pads should align, rub down
the high spots and start working. If the answer to #2 is no, you
almost certainly have air in the lines and some fun trying to get it
out. Best is to pull the right clipon off so you can tilt it uphill
and let any bubbles rise to the mc, not just the line/mc junction.

If all that works put the bike on stands, loosen the caliper bolts,
spin the wheel a few times tapping the brakes then clamp down. Tighten
the caliper bolts. This seems to align the calipers to the rotors,
reduces drag and gives much better feel.

FWIW I think the stock brakes are great, but then I started on a '74
CB550. Just TRY stopping on one of those early disk brakes!!!
Randy Grein, WMRRA #41