caliper mount process

matthew patton pattonme at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 12:23:16 PDT 2008

I think Randy said:

> If all that works put the bike on stands, loosen the caliper bolts,
> spin the wheel a few times tapping the brakes then clamp down.
Tighten
> the caliper bolts. This seems to align the calipers to the rotors,
> reduces drag and gives much better feel.

This seems wrong to me. If you tighten the pads/pistons first then you
end up applying a twisting force to the rotor and the pistons+pads are
now out of kilter wrt to the rotor when you tighten the calipers
against the immovable fork leg. Shouldn't all "immobile" parts be tight
before adjusting those that are designed to move/flex?

Aside from the rotor cleaning/reconditioning steps mentioned I've found
that sometimes getting the air out of the brake lines can be a
bugger-all task. And other times I get it done within a few minutes.
Once I'm reasonably sure the lines are clear, I'll barely loosen the MC
banjo with the system under pressure and let it weep and retighten
before removing pressure. I've been surprised at how much air was still
in the junctions.