Fork Seals....again

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Wed Oct 15 22:39:51 PDT 2008

Not likely, but worth a shot. The other thing I've noticed is the darn
clips - a bit of rust and they don't want to fit in the slots anymore.
That pushes the inward bend of the clip against the seal lip, which
can cause it to leak. Replace the clip.

Oh, BTW - replacing seals is pretty easy. Remove the fender, wheel and
forks. Use an allen head wrench on the bolt at the bottom (goes right
through the axle hole). Best is to use an impact gun; a decent
electric model can be had at most Sears. It's messy but take that bolt
out FIRST, then remove the fork caps. Drain the oil. Gently pry the
dust seals off, then the clips (a small flatblade screwdriver works
well), then a few tugs on the inner tube straight up will pop the
seals out. Reverse to install but use a bit of grease on the seal lip,
use the old seal to drive the new into the lower leg and make sure
that clip seats completely.

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41