Trasmission Experts?

Steve Robertson srobertson at ssimicro.com
Fri Sep 5 07:19:04 PDT 2008

Looking for some transmission advice. 2 race weekends ago I started having
some
difficulty getting into 5th. I tried putting some extra preload onto the
shifter, tried
not preloading at all and finally tired using the clutch. Nothing seemed to
help and
I only managed to get into 5th just over half of the time. The next race
weekend it
was even worse so rather than have a big mess I just went down a couple of
teeth
on the rear sprocket and lugged it around. (good thing our track is so
short)

I guess I will have to rip the whole motor apart to get to the trani but
what would be the
most likely problem? Should I be looking for trouble on the gears themselves
or at the
shift drum and forks? Or somewhere else??? Is there something I can check by
just going
in through the clutch side or do I really have to split the cases?

thanks,
Steve