petcock, G1 fuel 'pump', and 750 fork

Randy Grein randygrein at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 17:35:10 PDT 2008

Randy Grein, WMRRA #41

On Sep 5, 2008, at 12:35 PM, matthew patton wrote:

>> the same thing with my gen 1, and wound up leaving my
>> (correct gen 1
>> length) shock at the same settings when I went to GSXR
>> forks. Shorter and it steered like a truck.
>
> Randy, I don't understand the above. if you left your G1 shock alone
> and just put on GSXR forks, shouldn't it steer quicker than stock
> since you've basically dropped the front something like 1/2" or more?
>
> Also with the K-series forks (600 or 750) I don't see why I'd need
> to make any changes to suspension bits except stiffer springs since
> the stock ones are way too soft for even street duty.

I thought so too - and the forks are closer to an inch shorter.
However you are changing triple clamps, and I have to believe there's
a rake/trail change as well. So despite losing an inch of ride height
up front the optimal shock length turned out to be the same.

As to why possible suspension changes, it's easy - preload and overall
length change loaded ride height, and front/rear ride height changes
how it steers. After changing the shock (and dog legs, an interesting
idea) and forks/triple clamps you get the chassis geometry correct by
adjusting ride height. But then you already knew that... (grin)