My SV died. FI light blinking.

Roger Gonzalez rg-sv650 at v0.net
Sat Sep 13 22:23:12 PDT 2008

David Chamberlin wrote:

> I pulled over to the side and tried to restart it, it cranked fine, but it
> didn't catch and the red FI light was blinking and it was flashing FI in the
> LCD.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think maybe it has
> something to do with the fuel system.  :-)

FI doesn't necessarily mean anything to do with fuel, it could be any
number of things in the FI system.  You'll need to pull codes to know
what the bike is annoyed about, using the special dealer diagnostic tool
that consists of... a piece of wire.

Open up the tail, and you should find a bunch of wires on the port side,
one of which has a black rubber cap covering a six-pin plug with four
wires used.  Pull the cap off, and carefully short out the end two pins
- black/white and red, I believe.  Power on the bike, and you should see
a cXX code.  c00 means its happy, C12-C49 not so much.  It could be
something as simple as a loose wire, but asking the computer will
simplify the diagnostic process.

Report back!

-rg